Monday, May 9, 2016

Another - Anime Review

Hello guys ! Today I'm reviewing Another ! Hope you like it and let's go:

Story: 9.0


Very interesting, well-developed and, definitely, the key factor for this anime. Even though it's just twelve-episode long, they were able to not only give an evolution to the story but also completely finish it without leaving a single part untold or poorly explained. Only this achievement would make the whole anime worth it  but there is still a lot more to add up and grant a very enjoyable experience. 

Now, talking about the plot itself, I just loved it. The idea of having a curse that can kill a class students or their relatives is really interesting and the fact that it forced the creation of a  'tactic' responsible for such a mean and selfish attitude, ignoring the existence of one student scored many points in my book ! Plus, it somewhat gives an air of loneliness, melancholy and distance between the characters that I absolutely adored, increasing the mood for a horror anime.

Characters: 6.5


Considering the number of characters that play sort of an important role, the only personalities deeply explored are Sakakibara's and Mei's. This could propably be pointed as a flaw. However, I perfectly understand it and also agree with this choice. Focusing on the most distinct ones, the solitude and depressiveness excel and highlight the selected style. To finish it up, even though I don't love these two, I really like their style and the way they think.  

Song Themes: 3.3


The worst rating for Another. I understand that since it's the horror genre, a creepy theme would be appropriate, still the opening just sounds really bad to me. It's sort of out of sync, I don't know. I just didn't like at all. The ending, on the other hand, is acceptably bad. I like the nostalgic tone and, for me, it connects with the story, yet it's not that good. Nevertheless, since the anime is excellent, these poor results are rather irrelevant. 

*The 3.3 was the result from the average of the op and ed grades, 2 and 4.6, respectively.

Design: 8.0


No need to make it a long description, the design is good. Also, the coloring is pretty good and fits well.

Beggining: 8.5


The start is just insane ! The umbrella scene just made me realize the shit would go real ! Jokes apart, the initial episodes of Another are very interesting, explaining enough of the story for you to grow interested in it.

Evolution: 9.0


Overall, Another is pretty balanced. All the parts are decent and the constant deaths don't let you down. Considering that they also work gradually on the story development while still being able to make each episode interesting on its own is surprinsingly great. Plus, the mood between the students grows worse until the very end, something that only adds quality to the show, specially because its a horror one. Also, the deaths get fucking creepier, aka the boat tearing a boy apart.

Ending: 9.5


That's another (I seriously didn't try to joke here) great pillar (neither here xD) for Another. The final episodes are absolutely great and the horror sensation gets to a climax ! The tension is just huge and you can barelly wait for how things will turn out. It's just so good that it even surprises me and I have to say that the 'horror' theme must be proud of these guys 'cause they really made it thrilling. The few final minutes, though, are sort of less intense. Ok, I perfectly understand it, they wanted to finish the anime soothly, I just wanted to mention it, idk why. 


Note: I really didn't think of this scene when I wrote 'pillar' up there, but, since I wrote it .... hehehehe


Average: 8.4


So, the average is actually 7.7 because the ost definitely dragged it down, so, making the average without considering it got to a 8.4, a grade that for me is very worthy for the anime. Maybe it's a little lower than what it deserves, but for me that value is fair.

Final Comments:


The first REAL horror anime I've ever seen, that one you get really scared and excited about. I LOVED the story and the horror content and must praise whoever did it 'cause it rules. I feel very happy to say that this work outstands not only as a horror anime but presenting a great story and also completely exploring, explaining and comcluding its story, something as rare as a shiny pokémon nowadays, and they also worked it out greatly ! I would totally recommend people to watch it if they want to check an anime the closest possible to what a common horror movie would be like. 

So, that's it for today guys ! I'll be coming with moore review soon or ate least I'll try ! See ya'll soon !

No comments:

Post a Comment